Smashed Potato Salad
This is a must-try, fun and different variation to the classic Potato Salad.
- 8 large Idaho® Red potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic heads, roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed, toasted, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed, toasted, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns, toasted, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, toasted, ground
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled, minced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, tender center, thinly shaved
- 1/4 cup dill, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Assorted greens (parsley, dill, etc.) for garnish.
- Place Idaho® potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to fully cover the potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place roasted garlic cloves into a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Whisk the dill seed, celery seed, Szechuan pepper and black pepper into the mashed garlic. Add the celery, onion, ginger, lemongrass, dill, chili paste, lemon zest, lemon juice, mayonnaise and rice wine vinegar. Continue whisking the dressing until all ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 360ºF.
- Gently smash cooked potatoes into random-sized pieces and drop into the fryer; cook until potatoes are golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the fryer and allow to drain.
- Toss potatoes with remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt and fold into the dressing. Garnish with assorted greens.
- Serve while warm and crispy.